Best Essential oils for Depression
Depression can affect the way you think, how you act and the way you feel. It is mood disorder but can cause both physical and emotional symptoms. These can vary from anxiety, restlessness, sadness, difficulty in sleeping, lack of concentration.
How Essential Oils help:
Using essential oils for depression is not a new phenomenon and has been used for many centuries in aromatherapy, commonly used in alternative and traditional medicine. Although Essential oils cannot treat depression, they are a drug free option that may help relive some of the symptoms and help manage the condition.
How to use Essential oils
Essential oils can be used in a variety of ways to reduce depression, you can choose to apply to the skin, inhaled, or internal. When using essential oils topically, you must dilute them, to avoid the risk of skin irritation.
Inhalation: You can add essential oils with water in a diffuser and inhale in their aroma. You can also add few drops on cotton fabric or pad and inhale.
Water bath: The best was to relax is to add few drops to hot water bath. Sit back, relax and unwind.
Aromatherapy Massage: Add few drops of these essential oils to your massage oil and enjoy a relaxing massage which will help reduce anxiety and stress.
Top Essential oils for Depression:
Bergamot Essential Oil: Bergamot is a beautiful light and citrus scent which is sometimes called the anti-depressant of essential oils. It has joyful, fresh and uplifting aroma and is often used in blends to combat stress, anxiety and when feeling low and depressed. It is renowned for being an all round anti-depressant as it is extremely stimulating to the sensors.
Jasmine Essential Oil: Jasmine has sweet aroma and is an emotionally warm and stimulating oil. It is of the most effective oils for lifting from lethargy and stagnation. It can help calm nerves and soothe anxiety/mild depression.
Lavender Essential Oil: Lavender is an calming oil with floral and earthy scent. If you are looking for an all-purpose essential oil, then that will surely be Lavender. It is indicated to have anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antidepressant, antiseptic, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties. Also, it has antispasmodic, analgesic, detoxifying, hypotensive, and sedative effects.
Vetiver Essential Oil: Vetiver has a sweet, earthy aroma and is used as an aphrodisiac. It is beneficial is beneficial for soothing anxiety, insomnia, fatigue, depression, and inability to concentrate or remember.
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil: Ylang Ylang has a heavy floral aroma which is often associated with sensuality and used as an aphrodisiac. It is known for its amazing benefits for helping fight off depression and negative thoughts and emotions associated with depression. It has immediate positive effect on mood. The sedative properties of this oil can help lower stress responses and helps one relax.
Diffuser Blend for Depression
Stressed Diffuser Blend
- 4 drops Lavender Essential oil
- 2 drops Lemon Essential oil
- 2 drops Ylang Ylang Essential oil
Let it go Diffuser Blend
- 3 drops Ylang Ylang Essential oil
- 3 drops Bergamot Essential oil
- 3 drops Sweet Orange Essential oil
Anxious Diffuser Blend
- 4 drops Frankincense Essential oil
- 3 drops Bergamot Essential oil
- 3 drops Lavender Essential oil
- Essential oils are only for external use and should never be ingested
- Store essential oils out of reach of children and store them apart from other products. Some essential oils can be fatal to pets and therefore always research before using them
- Essential oils must ALWAYS be diluted before applying on skin as they are highly concentrated as can cause irritation. You can dilute them in carrier oil of your choice and the max concentration of essential oils should be 3-4%
- Always do a patch test before applying on larger areas of skin
- It is unclear what effects essential oils have on pregnant and breastfeeding women. While some consider them safe, many doctors advice pregnant women to avoid use of essential oils
- Always buy pure essential oils and stay away from fake counterparts as they wont contain same therapeutic benefits
As with any other treatment, it is a case of trial and error to find an oil or a combination of oils which works best for you. It is important to use 100% pure essential oils and not cheap fake counterparts as they will not be effective. Essential oils cannot cure depression but can help reduce symptoms associated with it. Always consult a health care practitioner or licensed aromatherapist.
Disclaimer: The information provided on this page is for informational and educational purposes. I am not a medical professional and highly recommend consulting a doctor before using essential oils as part of any medical treatment.