Treat Back pain with Essential oils
Now with the increasing scenario of working from home, the problem of back pain is more relevant than ever. Back pain is a common problem and can usually be treated within weeks. Back pain in lower back is most common, but other places can experience it too like upper back, left or right side of back.
While going for a hot water bath or a hot water pack to ease pain is one of the common traditional way to fight body pain, it might not be suitable for long term pain. Moreover, popping a painkiller every now and then to get rid of body aches is not a good idea due of its effect on the liver and kidneys with its long-term use. Essential oils when used in oil massage are known to be effective as well as safe for people suffering from back pain. They offer natural approach and works wonders as these oils seep deep into the dermal levels to provide relief.
Best Essential oils for Pain relief:
Essential oils have been used since ages for back pain and inflammation without causing any side effects. They can be used in the form of aromatherapy where you inhale in essential oil through the bottle or diffuser or mix them in hot water bath for quick relief. Another way of using essential oils is to massage the affected area.
A good massage relaxes muscles and improves muscle tone, circulation and blood flow. It also helps relieve physical tension and mental stress. These are the best essential oils that you can use for an oil massage for back pain:
Peppermint oil is best known for its menthol undertones and is one the nature’s most potent analgesics. It is a refreshing and invigorating oil which contains anti-inflammatory properties. It is an excellent oil for cooling inflamed joints and reduce back pain.
Ginger is a warming oil which is perfect for application on sore, tired, and painful back muscles. It is quite effective for tightness, rheumatism and arthritic conditions as well. A good massage with ginger oil can help reduce muscle stiffness and eases the pain. Gingerol present in ginger is known for its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties making ginger oil an essential massage oil for body ache. It is also seen to work wonders in case of chronic lower back pain.
Lavender is one of the most versatile essential oils and acts as a multipurpose oil for a variety of ailments. This oil is particularly indicated for use in cases of stress, restlessness, hyperactivity, fatigue and anxiety. While not as warming or hot as some of the other oils listed above, lavender still contains some powerful anti-inflammatory and analgesic qualities which are wonderful for backaches.
Eucalyptus is a warm soothing oil which contains some strong anti-inflammatory properties. These anti-inflammatory properties, combined with its strong analgesic effect make it effective at relieving aches, pains and stiffness. The strong smelling oil contains compounds which are good for nerve pain and muscle pain.
Roman & German Chamomile Essential oil
Chamomile oil contains anti-inflammatory and pain relieving compounds, in addition to having exceptional antioxidant compounds. It is best known for soothing and calming properties and can help reduce muscle spasms and overall inflammation in the body.
Rosemary is a wonderful oil for back pain, muscle pain, headaches, and joint pain due to its antispasmodic and analgesic compounds. Rosemary, like lavender, is another great all around oil. It’s effective for aches, pains, arthritis, among many other things. It’s analgesic and tonic qualities make it a top rated oil for backaches.
How to use Essential oils for Back Pain:
Essential oil Infused Bath:
- Add few drops of Essential oils to hot water bath.
- Soak in the tub for 20 minutes
- Get relaxed and rejuvenated with this hot water bath with Essential oils
- Make blend by combining your favorite essential oils. Mix with a suitable carrier oil like almond oil or coconut oil
- Mix well and massage on your back for instant relief
Safety & Precaution:
- Essential oils are only for external use and should never be ingested
- Store essential oils out of reach of children and store them apart from other products. Some essential oils can be fatal to pets and therefore always research before using them
- Essential oils must ALWAYS be diluted before applying on skin as they are highly concentrated as can cause irritation. You can dilute them in carrier oil of your choice and the max concentration of essential oils should be 3-4%
- Always do a patch test before applying on larger areas of skin
- It is unclear what effects essential oils have on pregnant and breastfeeding women. While some consider them safe, many doctors advice pregnant women to avoid use of essential oils
- Always buy pure essential oils and stay away from fake counterparts as they wont contain same therapeutic benefits
Complexity of back pain requires a comprehensive treatment. One should not only focus on reducing pain but should also fight underlying inflammation which could contribute to back problems. Essential oils are not a cure for all back pains. One needs to implement other remedies like proper exercise, right posture and healthy eating habits. See a doctor if the problem persists or gets worse.
Disclaimer: The information provided on this page is for informational and educational purposes. I am not a medical professional and highly recommend consulting a doctor before using essential oils as part of any medical treatment.