Essential Oils & Meditation
With our hectic lifestyle where we are constantly on the go and with such busy schedules packed with constant work, lack of sleep, insufficient rest, the need for meditation is more than ever required. The practice of meditation promotes mental clarity, spiritual cleaning, relaxation and calmness to the mind. It reduces stress and anxiety which has become a constant aspect of our lives. Therefore in recent times, meditation has gained popularity as it helps to calm the mind and bring about focus.
Benefits of using Essential Oils during Meditation
Essential oils help to concentrate, ground and focus the mind. They are also known reduce stress and anxiety and bring about calmness. They help to eliminate negative feelings and encourages insightfulness, positivity, determination, gratitude and self-respect. The aroma helps to maintain focus and creates a calming environment
We suggest using best quality essential oils for improving meditation as fragrances or lower quality oils do not have same therapeutic benefits.
Best Essential Oils for Meditation
Essential oils which are ideal for meditation are those which bring about clarity and calmness. They create an ambience with their aroma. The list which we have listed here is not an exhaustive list but those which are commonly used during meditation, yoga and other forms of mindfulness rituals.
It has sweet, spicy, warm and cool aroma and is known as one of the most powerful healing oil.
- Cleanses spirit
- Helps clear nasal passages
- Can help reduce anxiety and depression
- Helps connect with your spiritual self
- Promotes feeling of mentally balanced, grounding and openness
- Reduces pain and inflammation which can create barrier using meditation
- Can stabilize root chakra, so that energy flowers through all chakras
Has sweet aroma and is one of the most versatile oils.
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Calming properties helps stabilize and calms restless mind
- Promotes relaxation, emotional stability and brings mental clarity
- Inspires sound sleep
- Brings about balance and improves focus
Known to be Spiritually transformative oil and has a pleasant floral aroma.
- Promotes self-acceptance and self-love
- Reduces fear and promotes courage
- Inspires creativity
- Brings about deeper level of mindfulness and clarity
- Reduces pain and inflammation which can interfere with meditation
- Helps to reduce stress and anxiety and promotes restful sleep
- Encourages regular spiritual practice
With highest levels of sesquiterpene, it helps to stimulate hypothalamus, pituitary and amygdalin glands.
- Reduces stress
- Promotes focus and also bring clarity
- Helps to eliminate negative thoughts and emotions
- Brings about calmness and tranquillity
- Can help in spiritual opening
Has woodsy, sweet smell which is helpful in healing emotional and spiritual wounds.
- Helps to open heart and promotes trust within self
- Cleanses the mind of negative thoughts which reduce mental clarity
- Reduces stress
- Supports feeling of being grounded
- Promotes the feeling of calmness
- Quiets inner noise/mental chatter and helps to focus on breathing
- Encourages restful sleep
- Improves your ability to focus
Has herbaceous, earthy and slightly floral aroma and has been used across cultures since ancient times to remove negative energies.
- Stimulates and grounds mind and spirit
- Reduces negative energies and cleanses the body, mind, and spirit
- Antidepressant properties helps to uplift mood
- Promotes emotional balance
- Enhances memory and promotes self attentiveness
- Reduces negative moods like fatigue and stress
Has Woody and Smoky aroma with an earthy undertone and has uplifting and comforting aroma.
- Helps to concentrate and brings back wandering mind
- Known for having soothing and calming effects on body and mind
- Helps to keep the spirit grounded
- Retains focus and helps to focus on breathing while meditation
- Reduces anxiety, fear, depression and insecurity
- Calms body and mind after a tiring day
It sweet yet woody and earthy aroma helps to relax and deep breathe.
- Reduces receptive feelings and emotions
- Brings about calmness in the body and mind
- Helps to ground the spirit
- Soothes the senses and clears the mind
- Protects against negative energy
- Helps to return to the spiritual path
- Brings about sense of wellbeing and warmth
Has a floral aroma with sweet fruitiness and is often used to increase happiness.
- Exhibits exceptional calming and relaxing properties
- Uplifts the spirit and brings about positive effects on mind and body
- Helps to release negative emotions like stress anxiety, anger, sadness and nervous tension
- Reduces tension in the body
- Energies and uplifts mood
Considered as the “Oil of Peace” and if often add to meditation blends. It has fresh and Earthy aroma and helps to rebalance body.
- Deeping grounding oil
- Known for its calming effects on the mind
- Helps to focus and centre the mind
- Reduces Stress, anxiety and depression
- Brings about sense of relaxation
- Enhances concentration of mind
- Helps to quiet mind of unnecessary chatter
- Facilitates stronger inner connection
How to use Essential Oil for Meditation
Incorporating essential oils in your meditative routine will help clear your mind and improve focus. It can clear out negative energies and mind talk which distracts from achieving mindfulness and enlightenment. There are couple of methods of how you can use essential oils once you have decided which oil or blends to use.
Mix few drops of essential oil in a carrier oil and apply few drops of this mixture on the pulse points such as wrist or inner elbow. Those who believe in third eye, can apply few drops here and massage softly. You can also rub them in your palms for self-inhalation. If there is any soreness or pain in the body, you can massage on these areas to shift the focus of mind from bodily pains and enhance mental focus on meditation. Always dilute essential oils in a carrier oil before applying on the body.
This is the most common method of using essential oils during meditation. You can diffuse your choice or essential oils or blend in a diffuser for an ambient atmosphere which will inculcate focus and stimulate senses.
There are different types of diffuser available in the market today like Candle Diffuser, Electric Diffuser, steam diffuser etc.
You can spray the room with essential oil mist or room spray for enhanced atmosphere and soothing aroma in the room.
Essential Oil Blends
While the use of Essential Oil is the traditional and classic manner of applying them, their beneficial properties are high-lightened when they are combined with one or more essential oils which can help supplement the positive effects. The final blend will have a different aroma but the resulting effect will also be magnified.
These essential oils are known to uplift the mood, clear mind and spirit. Promotes sleep, eases breathing and reduces pain and inflammation. They can either be diffused, topically applied, used to make room freshener, incorporated In a candle or be applied as a roll-on or body spray.
DIY Essential Oil Blends for Meditation
Grounding Diffuser blend
- Sandalwood Essential Oil – 4 drops
- Frankincense Essential Oil – 4 drops
- Bergamot Essential Oil – 4 drops
Relaxing and Calming Diffuser blend
Enlightening Diffuser Blend
Add to aromatherapy diffuser before you start your meditation
- All essential oils are for external use only.
- Never apply essential oils directly on the body and you should always dilute them with a carrier oil before applying. Maximum dilution of essential oils should be 3 %.
- Patch test is recommended before applying them on larger areas.
- Pregnant and breast feeding women should always consult with medical practitioner as they may have effects on certain hormone secretions
- The oils should always be stored away from reach of children and pets
Essential oils are useful for creating a positive ambience for a good meditation experience. They help to soothe body and calm mind and helps towards enlightenment when used during meditation. The choice of essential oils depends on your mood of the day and it may vary by the day or the intention you are for focussing on.
Disclaimer: The information provided on this page is for informational and educational purposes. I am not a medical professional and highly recommend consulting a doctor before using essential oils as part of any medical treatment.