Best Essential Oils for Snoring
If you have ever slept next to someone who snores, you know how maddening it is. The noise can keep you up all night and lead to miserable morning. It is a severe irritant when trying to go off to sleep. Snoring is a very common condition and happens when your breathing is blocked.
The solutions to snoring which are more effective than a sharp elbow from your partner include products which claim to prevent snoring like nose clips, tapes, special pillows and mouthpiece. However, if you are looking for something natural which will soothe snoring, you must try essential oils. You will be surprised as to how effective they are and how quiet your room will be.
Why Snoring Occurs
Snoring usually occurs when you are not able to breathe properly through nose or throat while sleeping. The restriction of airflow creates a vibration in surrounding tissues, resulting in snoring sound. Some causes of snoring includes allergies, inflammation from irritants other than allergies like dusty environment, congestion.
Snoring can be more than inconvenience and can lead to insomnia or issues with sleeping partner. It can also be an indicator of a serious condition known as sleep apnea.
Why Essential Oils
Essential oils are concentrated essences of plants derived through steam distillation and contains both the aroma and health benefits of the plants they are extracted from. They are extracted from, plant parts like bark, flowers, leaves, rinds, roots and seeds of fruits and plants.
Though the data on using essential oils for snowing is limited, some clinical trials have shown, that essential oils can help people who suffer from snoring. Oils can promote sleeping by preparing body for sleep and bring about overall wellness.
Best Essential oils for Snoring
Thyme is a powerful essential oil with a long history. Thyme is said to be one of the best essential oils for snoring relief as it supports respiratory wellness. It helps alleviate symptoms of respiratory disorders including asthma, bronchitis, laryngitis, and tonsillitis. Thyme is thought to be a strong fighter of bacterial and viral infections. It soothes nervous system which leads to improved breathing and better sleep.
Marjoram is another powerful oil which is known to help with snoring. It works as an antibacterial, expectorant, sedative, and tonic. This essential oil calms respiratory system and helps relieve respiratory congestion, asthma and bronchitis. The herby, woody aroma of marojoram promotes sleep and relaxation.
Eucalyptus oil is commonly recommended as herbal decongestant, making it good for both cold and people who are suffering from snoring. It helps to open nose and clears mucus, allowing for better breathing. It can also be used to relieve symptoms of asthma and bronchitis.
Snoring is often caused due to congestion and Peppermint essential oil is a natural decongestant. It is one of the best oils to relieve nasal and chest congestion and is therefore often used in many cold and flu remedies. It helps people breathe and therefore is often used to treat asthma and sinusitis and is also a popular remedy for snoring. The active ingredient in peppermint oil is menthol which has anti-inflammatory properties and can assist with headaches and muscle pain. Peppermint is one of the most commonly used essential oils and you can find in varied number of products like lotions, vapor rubs, mouthwashes etc.
Pine oil helps to keep airways open, which promotes breathing and reduces snoring. The anti-inflammatory properties of Pine Essential oil helps to reduce respiratory conditions like asthma, which may interfere with a good night sleep. It is commonly used to help create an uplifting mood and relieves stress.
How to use Essential Oils
Studies have shown that there are many methods of using essential oils which work quite effectively.
- For some, adding few drops on a tissue paper and keeping inside a pillowcase or next to it might work.
- Many oils especially thyme works well when massaged on bottom of the feet. Reflexologists suggest focusing on the bottom of the big toe as this is the area that relates to the throat. It is important to always dilute essential oils with carrier oil to avoid skin irritation.
- Essential oils can also be breathed straight from the bottle or diffused in aromatherapy diffuser.
- You can also add few drops of essential oil to a hot bowl of water, cover your head with a towel and deep breathe for 5-6 minutes.
RISK & SIDE EFFECTS
- Essential oils are only for external use and should never be ingested
- Store essential oils out of reach of children and store them apart from other products. Some essential oils can be fatal to pets and therefore always research before using them
- Essential oils must ALWAYS be diluted before applying on skin as they are highly concentrated as can cause irritation. You can dilute them in carrier oil of your choice and the max concentration of essential oils should be 3-4%
- Always do a patch test before applying on larger areas of skin
- It is unclear what effects essential oils have on pregnant and breastfeeding women. While some consider them safe, many doctors advice pregnant women to avoid use of essential oils
- Always buy pure essential oils and stay away from fake counterparts as they wont contain same therapeutic benefits
Enjoy a Good Night’s Sleep
Snoring can be more than a nuisance; it can prevent you and your sleeping partner from getting sound sleep. Using essential oils not only help in reducing snoring but you can also benefit from the other therapeutic properties of these oils. By using right essential oils, you can enjoy deeper and more restful sleep.
Disclaimer: The information provided on this page is for informational and educational purposes. I am not a medical professional and highly recommend consulting a doctor before using essential oils as part of any medical treatment.